Is this Griefing? PVE3

Discussion in 'Support' started by Depco, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just had a question about an event which happened last night (October 31). My son and I play on the server and after I had logged off he was working on a structure. He had completed a fair amount of the structure using most of his bits that he has earned over the last few days of playing.

Another player named oakwardturtle began using explosives to demolish the house. This caused my son no small amount of anger and sorrow. I told him to post here on the forums to see if this is something that is allowed on the server and if so then for him not to use his bits to build structures or at least not to expect any built structure to be standing upon return to the server.

This also segues into people who demolish doors and walls to enter the house and steal all the stuff inside for themselves. It would seem to me that this is also a form of griefing as it is a PvP based action. No in-game mechanic that I can tell is in place to safeguard a structure against looters and thieves.

So my question is whether or not demolishing structures is a form of griefing or simply a game mechanic allowed on PvE servers.

One other topic I may as well bring up while I am asking for clarification on game mechanics. If a person is killed in game do they have any claim to the items that were on their bodies. My feeling on this is that, as a PvE survival zombie game, if a person is killed by any non PvP action they lose claim to the items they drop. If they can get back to their corpse to claim the items then they can have them. However, in the time between their demise and their retrieval of the items any person who comes along may collect and take the items.

This is a great game (obvious minecraft inspired clone of DayZ) that i enjoy with my friends and son. I am hoping to keep enjoying it without having to fight off the griefers in the game.

2. Yes, other players destroying structures that aren't theirs without permission is griefing, which carries a 24 hour ban penalty under JPH rules. If you have evidence then submit a ban request, which will be reviewed by a Moderator.

As for the clarification you asked for; as soon as a player dies then yes, they lose claim to their items which are then free for anyone to take if they don't get back to their corpse quick enough.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy the game and we look forward to seeing you on our servers!

Thanks,
    Matt

3. The question then becomes, What type of proof is needed? We dont typically record our gameplay and I am sure he did not think to take a screenshot. I'll advise him to try and take a SS if the griefing happens again.

4. A screenshot of the offending player in the act with the name of the player visible is usually sufficient. Your story seems credible so although I can't take action I'll note down the player you named and keep an inconspicuous eye on them if I see them around in-game.

Thanks,
    Matt

5. Thank you for the quick response. I'll tell him to get a SS next time this happens. Hopefully with more server moderators being present this type of activity will be discouraged as well.

6. No problem, we always try to respond as quick as possible. :)
    Indeed. Several Junior Moderators have been promoted to Moderators recently, and most likely at some point in the coming month the Staff Applications will be reviewed by a senior member of staff and more staff members will then be accepted to help keep the server rules enforced and the gaming experience enjoyable.
    If you would like to apply for staff, fill out an application in the Staff Applications section of the forum.

Thanks,
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.