Steam Disk Read Error and AntiVirus Technology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liellamelody777, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright guys. I am hoping someone here can help with this.

I just tried to play Unturned. The AntiVirus software AVG removed the .exe file and labeled it as a trojan. I can't get the exe. to reinstall.
    First question is how do I add an exception to a file that isn't there?
    Second question is why is it calling this a Disk Read error when my disk is fine?
    Please help.

2. I noticed you had not been online in a while. Your base despawned. :(

Computer specifics? Windows-based or Mac? Laptop/desktop, processor, memory, hard drive make/model, installed RAM, vid card specs.

We'll go from there.

3. #3 Goldagent, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    1) Delete all Unturned files from your computer. Do this by finding the Common folder, in the SteamApps folder, in your Steam folder, and deleting all Unturned files you see from there and then from your recycle bin. Finding this folder can be a pain on a mac so let's hope you're on PC. The PC pathway is C:- Program Files x86 - Steam - SteamApps - Common. (If you're on a mac, drop me a message and I'll take you through it.)
    2) Once you've done that, temporarily disable your antivirus and reinstall the game.
    3) Once the game has reinstalled, DON'T immediately reactivate your antivirus as it'll just delete the .exe again. Go back to the Common folder, click (the newly reinstalled) Unturned, and make sure that the .exe is actually there this time. If it is, good. If it isn't, repeat the above steps.
    4) Now, you can't just leave your antivirus disabled as that isn't a good idea :p. So, you need to whitelist that .exe file with your antivirus. This may take a little googling/messing around, as each antivirus software is different, but once you've added the unturned.exe to your antivirus' whitelist it'll never touch it again.
    5) Once you've done that, reactivate your antivirus.
    6) Play to your heart's content. Come find me and I'll fly you around in a helicopter.

If you don't understand something or have difficulties for reasons unknown to you, message me privately or find me on TS.

G

4. I have no idea about all that. It doesn't matter. That base was stolen again. I am hanging out on the server again just having other issues.

Thanks

5. Thank you so much! I already fixed it.

LiellaMelody777

6. Glad to hear, look forward to seeing you on the servers!

G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.