BattlEye giving Unturned a black eye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lsmith1437, Nov 13, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should JPH disable the new BattlEye requirement?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2016.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not loving this new BattlEye anti-cheat addition. I've done a bit of reading online about it. I suggest you do also.

The developer promises to never, never, ever read all your personal info, credit cards, passwords, or to download our stuff off our hard drives and store it forever on their servers. Unless. Unless it really really needs to. Or unless they get hacked, which they have been before, and hackers know that they can use it to execute arbitrary commands with full kernal privs on your box that even anti-virus programs cannot stop.

This is a potentially huge privacy issue that the developer has not addressed in their EULA except to cross their hearts that they'll be good. But their good intentions are not enough for me.

So, I won't be allowing the Unturned update to install BattlEye on my personal machine. Which means for now, I won't be able to use JPH servers because by default they all require BattlEye right now.

I'd be thrilled if JPH would disable this requirement by adding to the Config.Ini:

BattlEye_Secure: false

If not on all the servers, then maybe on a few?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Not much different than what PunkBuster did back in the day. Maybe some refining for Unturned is in order. The original patch killed fps and ping. The second patch made it almost as good as without BE installed.

3. wow tbt Battlefield Heroes

Indeed, I don't even notice a performance drop, if there is any.

Although I do fully agree with this. For such a capable program, something more than just the developers 'word', would make me feel a bit more comfortable using it. I realize the chances of anything bad coming from it are slim, and many other games have had reasonable success and that the user base is in the thousands, if not millions. Knowing these factors, I can use it with some peace of mind. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it though... no pun intended.. or was it?:p

edit* haven't voted on the poll yet, as I would like to give it a week to see how it does

4. wow, almost as close as some "other" thing where people cast ballots recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.