Griefing on PVE1

Discussion in 'Support' started by OfficerKarl, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there anyway to incorporate anti-griefing measures? Me and my friend had worked hard to build a base for 3 days and after being offline for less than 12 hours we came back to a destroyed home with all of our supplies stolen, including everything stored in lockers. Also, I'm being told I don't have permission to buy/sell items or even check my bit balance. I would really appreciate some help here. I love the server, but I'm going to be trying a new server for a bit until some of this gets worked out.

2. You have two different issues: The first -- Griefers. We try our hardest to catch and ban them but it only takes a minute to wreck a base just before server restart. All of the items on the ground are lost during the restart. If you can give us the time frame we can narrow our search.

The second issue is because of an incompatibility that arose between the plugin that handles commands and the game itself. That's beyond our control. The plugin developer had something break and it hosed all of the command permissions. We have to wait until he fixes it. :(

3. That's rough. The grief happened sometime between 12am and 12pm CST today, so there's probably not much to be done there. But I'm really more worried about the bits. When the plugin gets fixed will we still have all of our bits?

4. Bits have been retained. Almost all of the bugged plugin permissions have been fixed.

5. Cool! Thanks so much for the help. I'll be back on soon.

6. Quick question though, can't you set anti-griefing on the server? Some servers use a method so that only mods can break or remove another players placed items.

7. So I surround ur base in plates

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. TheMutantHotDog has the win for that. You would be trapped in your own base by a wall just outside of your claim flag range.

9. I also love the serever but my base gets greifed if your not carful I lost my makeshift car on pve2 They need more and more admins I would love to become one but im not good at those jobs
    _please fix my base Im the white birch base at the top of the mountain between staford and the summerside mill base I tried repairing it a little
    -deathwolf14

10. Honestly if there were mods present at all doing stuff like surrounding a player's base in plates wouldn't be an issue. You'd just have to ask them to remove it. Like I said, other servers handle this measure just fine. Also you could have it set so only mods can spawn cars for players and it becomes theirs permanently. Just put a sign on it and ban anyone who gets caught stealing. If it's anti-griefing, they shouldn't be able to destroy it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. what if the mods aren't on, and the person who placed it decides to be a jerk and doesn't remove the plates?

12. This is for OfficerKarl. Take this with a grain of salt and think of ways of solving the problems -- without loading the servers down with more plugins that break after every update. We are open to suggestions and I've passed quite a few of my observations and player complaints on to the owner. We've even changed the ban times for griefers and may change them again.

Now to address specific points:

"more mods present": They are only a few hours a day when no mods are online. Personally I've racked up over 600 hours online policing the servers in the past two months. You can do the math. I don't remember hearing you in Teamspeak calling for help from a moderator. If someone comes in and PMs us I'm most often the first to drop what I'm doing and get on the server to investigate. Two or three other mods usually follow me in so that we have plenty of withnesses. Remember it only takes a few minutes to destroy a base and if it's done just before shutdown/restart the loot is gone. Players ducking bans using this technique is also an annoyance but we usually get them within a day or two when they come back to check their handywork. We've also permanently banned a number of players who used a list of alts as long as your arm to continue griefing.

"other servers": We are what we are. We have an owner and the way we do things is because the guy paying for everything tells us how to run it. Even he has certain rules to follow as our servers are part of a larger network. Again if you can suggest a better way to monitor the servers 24x7 with a volunteer staff we'll take it into consideration. We do try to get online during odd hours of the morning to try and catch the 1-5AM griefers.

"only mods can spawn cars": Won't happen any time soon. The game spawns them by default and players can always buy or build makeshift vehicles. Without running a heavily modded (modified) server the idea of limiting plain-vanilla items just doesn't work. Moderators are on the server to moderate, not be a new and used car company. The server owner and admins set the rules for us and are our superiors. They have more leeway in what they do but they must also keep things within reason. As for posting signs on vehicles -- Both before and after the vehicle plugin (working and not) this is the only true way to claim a vehicle. Be sure to use a metal sign.

If you ever see someone on the server breaking a griefing or hacking rule grab screenshots. The name doesn't have to be in all of the shots as long as we can track clothing/loadouts as they run away. Try to get the players steam name by mousing over their screen name in the map/player screen. Use shift-tab and check the player list for the current or recent games to get the player's steam64ID or profile link. You can always PM the info to one of the moderators here on the forums and we'll follow up. See a loot pile from a fresh griefing? Screenshot it along with the list of players online at the time. If you think you have enough to get someone banned then please post a ban request.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.